Gary is a city in Lake County, Indiana. It is best known as the birthplace of legendary pop star Michael Jackson.
Founded in 1906 as a company city of American Steel, it flourished from the 1950s to the early 1960s and was called "Magic City." In 2007, writer Jessica Hopper described Pompeii in the Midwest as a city of ruins that seem to have stopped suddenly.
Gary is a famous and notorious man. In a song of the same name in the 1957 musical "The Music Man," "A place where you can light your face" and "a sweet house in the house" are exaggerated It's the childhood home of the Janet, Michael, Tito, Germain and Jackson families. There is also an unattractive, often factory-smelling highway in eastern Chicago, where per capita suicide continues to lead the largest city.
Steel Corporation of the United States, in its design, motto the CEO office of a large company, "Yes," has been established by engineers, and has admitted that it can't live on bread alone," fostering attractive galleries that are not at least beautiful residential areas. Even uneducated workers, who are not paid for their pay, are not yet able to develop within reasonable limits and have a happy sense of beauty if the best interests of them are achieved." In the latter half of the 1960s, when US Steel started fighting, the city's economy followed and did not recover.
The two casinos that have become hopelessly legalized in the Gallery become a gambling venue for short-term travel and for local people to go on their payday. The collapsing architectural heritage is also a favorite and dangerous place for urban exploration.
- 1 Gary/Chicago International Airport (GYY IATA) (located in the northwest corner of the city, accessible from I-90 at EUT 10 exit of Gary Rd/SR-912). There is no regular air service, but there are occasionally chartered flights.
The airport, closest to the regular commercial airplane bound for Gary, is located at the Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW IATA), which runs northwest 40mi (48km), I-90 and W59t (exit #58A) from Gary. Southwest Airlines is the largest airline here. The Midway is located in a more compact, less congested, less delayed area, cheaper and closer to the 46 mi (74 km) Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD IATA).
Gary has two Chicago South Shore lines that stop and depart at least every two hours. Gary/Chicago Airport 2, Adam Benjamin JR Metro Center 3, and Adam Benjamin JR Metro Center are located near downtown. The ticket depends on how far you travel.
The nearest Amtrak station is 10 miles (16 km) away from diamonds and diamonds.
Exit from 14A (Gary West) or 17 (Gary East) through Indiana Tor Road from Illinois (3 dollars from Chicago) or Ohio. Exit 17 intersects Interstate 65 and US Route 12 and 20.
- D & W bus, Mark O's Bar & Grill, 2385 Willowcreek Rd in Portage. From New York to Chicago via Maumee, South Bend, and Portage (closest to Gary).
- Indian Trails, (Bus Depot) Adam Benjamin Jr Metro Center, 100W 4th Ave, +1 219 886-1623, Toll-Free: +1 800 292-3831. The Indian trail is mainly followed by I-94/69 (Chicago - Gary - Benton - Harbor - Kalamazoo - Battle Creek - Lansing / East Lansing - Flint). There are passengers at Benton Harbor, Flint, Lansing, and Chicago, and then towards their destination.
- Greyhound, (Bus Depot) Adam Benjamin Jr Metro Center, 100W 4th Ave, Suite 106, +1 219 886-3041, Toll-Free:+1-800-231-2222. Greyhound will mainly travel I-65 (Chicago - Gary - Lafayette - Indianapolis - Louisville) on 90/76 (Chicago - Gary - South Bend - Toledo - Cleveland - Pittsburgh). Some variations of this route go from Cleveland to New York.) The passengers were transferred to other buses in Chicago, Cleveland, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Louisville and then to their destinations.
Lake Michigan and the Grand Calmet are nearby.
Local bus services are limited. Two blocks to the west of the baseball park, it's very easy to walk around the busy quarter of the Gallery (including the ruins of the City Methodist Church). However, when visiting Gary, it is highly recommended that people use cars because there are limited transportation and relatively many violent crimes (both downtown and at night).
From the 1950s to the early 1960s, Gary was a prosperous city and had an architecture to prove its architecture.
- The Ingwaldo Mo House (669 Van Buren) and the Wilbur Winant House (600 Fillmore) were designed by master architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1910 and 1916, respectively. The Winant House is in a frenzy with several years of restoration and ownership change.
- To enhance the activities of Prairie School, the Gary Beach and Basing House Bathing Resort, which was designed by George Maher in 1999, for the Market Park Pavilion (Tour M-F 9AM-5PM) and Gary/Chanute Aquatorium(+121938-8081), is a place where you can see water without swimmingin the water, without appearing in swimsuit. There is a large exhibition dedicated to the Tuskegee airman.
- The old Gary Post Office (VI and Massachusetts) has lost several items, especially the Postal Service and roof of the United States. Built in 1936, it was banned from entering the room, but an entry-type camera that couldn't go to the Angkor can't reach the Angkor can see several springs behind the window.
- Gary Memorial Auditorium (7th, Massachusetts) and the City Methodist Church (6th, Washington) are famous for the ruined city after Great Gary Arson in 1997. The latter is like the Urbexs Holy Land, and it is worth visiting if you have the courage. Don't be fooled by the barbed wire fence. Washington has two big entrances, no "no trespassing" sign, and fortunately the parking lot on the other side of the building is. The stairs are well tested and safe, but the stairs above are not as interesting as the amazing theaters and main rooms on the ground floor. Be sure to look for the end of the great fireplace in the church between the theater and this church. The rest was stolen by the company, and, indeed, by the strong thieves, it was the last.
- The Gary Murals Project redecorates a wooden-walled store along Broadway.
- Gary Children's Museum (273 Cleveland St;+1 219 882-7061) is in town.
- Western theater
- The Morning Bishop Theater Playhouse
- Jackson Family Home 2300 Jackson St.
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, US SteelYard Stadium, +1 219 882-2255. Home games are played from mid-May to early September. A baseball team in the Northern League (Minor League). $10, parking.
- The market park loves outdoors and is very beautiful. It is a nice, far west of West Beach in Indiana Dunes National Park, and is a good place to be flooded during the day. It is also a good way to kill time to walk around the lagoon and beautiful bridges to the west of the aquarium.
There are two casinos along the shores of the lake, both with few false Vegas lights and few signs of the outside town. One of the two casinos used to be a Trump Casino, and Trump brought Miss America's tournament to Japan, but now Majestic Star operates it and arrives from the same parking lot and entrance.
- 1 Majestic Star Casino and Hotel, 1 Buffington Harbor Drive1977-7932, fax:+1 219 9 977-7811.
- Indiana University Northwest has a campus with about 5,000 students on Gary.
- Ivy Tech Community College is also in the area.
The city is not widely known as a shopping destination and is known for its good reason. There is little else to buy here, and most of the shops (in the budget) are located in strip malls outside the city center. But Gary is probably the Ground Zero, a souvenir of Michael Jackson and Jackson Five. A place where it's easy to pick up items (and you'll have to say it's cheap) is a small indoor market on 487 Broadway. The market also boasts a high ranking in Obama's celebratory district.
- The Citizens' Creation Market (4121 Cleveland St, +1 219 887-3522) is open to F-Su 9AM-5PM.
Gary is very short for the guests who sit down. Takeouts are much easier to find if you have a car. It's easy to look around and see the dilapidated walls of the city along Abage 5 outside the city center. On the way to Lake St from a town associated with Marquette Park, there is a fascinating block in about two blocks, which makes it easy to get a slice of pizza.
-  Arman's Dog House, 5875 Melton , 1 219 939-1000.M-Sa 10AM-10PM. Also known as the Dawg Fish Grill, it has a large amount of meat, so you don't have to worry about fried.
- Italian Sandwitch Shop, 487 Broadway, +1 219 880-2636.M-Sa until 17:00. A delicious-looking Soul Food Cafe in this place has been replaced by a less interesting sandwich shop. But it's just a block from City Hall, a friendly and welcome place. And let's try at least one local sandwich — "American Steel."
- Juice Garden, 2700 Fifth, +1 219 881-0212. M-Sa 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with breakfast and until 11:00 a.m. To provide an organic agrochemical in a grocery store or a health food restaurant. They believe that God wants it. It is run by the local minister and his family. He is a vegetarian (but not all).
- 2 Miller Bakery Cafe, 555 S Lake, +1 219 427-1446. Lunch, Tu-F, dinner, Tu-Su. It is as expensive as Gary's food, and it has modern American, Asian, French, Italian dishes, wonderful places, and big wine lists. I'll call you to confirm the time and reservation.
There are bars and lounges around the gallery. The problem is that after many years, they are all closed, closed, and burned down in the shutters.
- Chop Lounge, 3100W 5th Ave, +1 219 949-1810. It is famous for being open, and it is possible to play live.
- "The Palace on 5th, 529 E 5th Ave", +1 219 886-9346. Music usually starts at 19:30. I'm going to live in Gary's downtown. The local people of Gary are close to music, valued, and blues and jazz are very rare in small cities. (As you can imagine, Gary is a natural incubator for blues.) The actual concert is so small that local performance is very powerful. In addition to the regular R&B karaoke every Wednesday, there is also a program in which special (Chicago-style) tramplers dance at night.
Maybe I'd like to go on a day trip from Chicago about 45 minutes away. Hammond (about 20 minutes) has a discount option that does not reduce to a certain extent.
- Majestic Star Casino, 1 Buffington Harbor Dr (a synonym for the casino mentioned above). This isn't a shabby hotel. But it's the best gayly and not bad enough to avoid casinos and business trips. 90-150 dollars.
keep ~ safe
As mentioned above, Gary has repeatedly ranked top in the U.S. regarding the per-capita murder rate. Because of the recession, many companies close in the evening, so no matter where they go, they make sure they're still open and don't leave at night without knowing their destination. For those who want to explore the city, the poverty of the city means that people trapped in the waste are likely to take risks. Make sure someone knows where to go and check in with them as they go.
- Methodist Hospital Northlake Campus, 600 Grant St, +1 219 886-4000.
- Indiana Dunes goes a short distance.
|End Left||N S||→Hobart → Lafayette|
|Juliet Chicago Hammond←||W E||→Lake Station →South Bend/Michigan City/Bowling Green|
|Chicago Samba←||W E||→Lake Station →South Bend|
|Chicago - East Chicago←||W E||→ Portage → Michigan|
|Chicago Samba←||W E||→ Portage → Michigan|
|Chicago - East Chicago←||northeastern region SE||→Porter → South Bend|